we filter
we listen
we educate

Control you mail.

Have a say on what types of mail offers you recieve.

Stop the Junk.

We are partnering with direct marketers to reduce unwanted and bothersome mail. So get less junk by joining our and other

DO NOT MAIL lists.

unjunk me

Get your free stickers! The first 1,500 people to join our unjunk campaign will receive free return to sender stickers.

Keep the Deals.

But face it, deals you actually want are not junk. This service helps you eliminate what you don't want leaving only what you do.

Or leave them blank and limit junk altogether.

Add Auto

Add Airline

Add Car

Add Hotel

Add Vacations

Add Camping

Add Cruises

What delivery method do you prefer for deals in the categories you selected?

- -

Continue
Almost Done.

Fill out the following to join our DO NOT MAIL registries as they continue to develop.

unjunk me

* We will email you a confirmation of your preference to the supplied email address.

Congratulations!

You have taken the first step to controlling your mailbox. Continue with these other services we recommend:

This Do Not Mail list is most widely used by the direct marketing association.

A non-profit that takes your name off catalog lists. Over a million consumers are using the service.

Takes your name off the credit reporting lists that credit card and insurance companies use.

Think there should be a national Do Not Mail Registry similar to the Do Not Call Registry? Add your name to this petition run by the Forest Ethics Committee.

User Picture

LukSandra Tired of getting junk mail? http://t.co/xO6vpn5ivA via @9GAG

4 years ago
User Picture

_Kechups Tired of getting junk mail? http://t.co/YkRjzEeEBB via @9GAG

4 years ago
User Picture

gjpaterson @richardbranson Do me a favour, get Virgin Media to stop bombarding me with crap junk mail, I don't want your fucking broadband

4 years ago
User Picture

xoMyStateOfMind RT @9GAGTweets: Tired of getting junk mail? - http://t.co/CmhNKLlPg8

4 years ago
User Picture

r3ggo111 Just got a junk mail letter from the post office. Printed on grease proof paper. Rightooo

4 years ago
User Picture

LeeFields51 .haha i have so much junk mail it's crazy,but dont tell the #NSA it's all secret code ** @PRC63

4 years ago
User Picture

angelorichiello Three-quarters of all e-mail is junk, and we’re wasting lots of time dealing with less important messages, says @Barry_Gill.

4 years ago
User Picture

griffinkate RT @StripeyCaptain: @emilyevelina @griffinkate Otherwise @nextofficial will be forced to send your junk mail to "Theo ccupier", like @virgi…

4 years ago
User Picture

_HughBris Mother-in-law gave kids' names/info to National Geographic mag sub & then kids start getting "age appropriate" junk mail. You stink Nat Geo.

4 years ago
User Picture

fourfeeteleven_ Hate It when important email went into my junk mail.

4 years ago
User Picture

1 minute ago on Twitter
The Voice from Catalog Choice Gets Personal

Each week, Unjunk Mail invites an expert to help educate us about the junk mail issue. We’ll be hearing from environmentalists, privacy pros, and direct marketing gurus.  This week, April Smith from Catalog Choice chimes into the conversation.

HeadshotI confess, I’m a catalog shopper.  As a busy working mother living in rural Vermont, I rely on catalogs for a significant portion of my personal and gift shopping.  By my bedside, in addition to a good book or two, there’s always a favorite catalog awaiting a quiet moment for my perusal:  White Flower Farm, Garnet Hill, Sundance, Athleta, Crate & Barrel.  Surfing the internet is no replacement:  Work done, my child asleep, and I have time to relax with a cup of tea and my favorite catalogs.  I’m transported. One girl’s “junk mail” is another girl’s treasure.

But, Buyer Beware.  For years, my mailbox was also stuffed with catalogs I didn’t want.  Who reads all that fine print buried in a mailer’s privacy policy?  “We do make our mailing list available to carefully screened companies whose products or services might interest you.” Before you could say “Sundance Big Sky Cowboy Hat,” I was literally knee-deep in catalogs, and they kept on coming.

It reminds me of the classic children’s story, “Why the Sea is Salt.” The boat captain asks the handmill to grind salt, and it does, abundantly.  Not knowing the magic words to make it stop, however, the mill keeps grinding and grinding, until heaps of salt grow higher with no end in sight.  I was swimming in a sea of catalogs.

As an environmental professional, all this waste was terribly troubling to me. I vowed to take action.  For years, my sole New Year’s resolution was to collect all my unwanted catalogs and call the companies directly.  I remember being on hold with one mailer for nine minutes.  I hung up and gave up.  Who has time for this inconvenience?

You can imagine my delight when I was offered a position with a new service called Catalog Choice.  It was my dream job.  Finally!  A free and easy way to give consumers a choice about what they want to received in the mail.

Catalog Choice benefits the consumer and the planet – and with the cost of postage and paper rising, the service seemed good for the mailer, too.  As the person responsible for signing up companies to participate in Catalog Choice, I heard repeatedly, “Of course we don’t want to mail catalogs to people who don’t want to receive them.”  Then why was it such a struggle to get some companies to honor consumer requests?

There is no short answer to this question.  We’ll be the first to say we made some mistakes early on.  As the new kid in town, we suffered the skepticism of an industry unsure of our motives.  While some mailers see the value of removing a name from their mailing list unconditionally, other marketers view Catalog Choice as tinkering with the tried-and-true recipe for success:  Tempt consumers enough with beautiful things and they will buy.

Despite our hurdles, in just two years we’ve delivered over 16 million mail preference requests on behalf of over 1.1 million households and continue to facilitate an important and growing conversation between the consumer and the mailer. Direct marketers see us as a voluntary solution to Do Not Mail legislation.  And the consumer no longer has to wade through a sea of mail to happily flip through the pages of her favorite catalogs.  Now, back to mine!

About the Author:

April Smith is the managing director for Catalog Choice.  Her primary focus is developing a strong partnerships with catalog mailers to ensure widespread adoption and improvement of the service.  Prior to joining the Catalog Choice team, April worked for twenty years as an environmental consultant to numerous nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and businesses.  April holds a B.A. from the University of Vermont and an Master’s degree from UCLA in urban planning and environmental policy. She is recognized as one of the founders of the campus greening movement and is the author of the book Campus Ecology.